The Loch Garman Silver Band was officially founded in April 1937 by John Clancy, Tommy O’Neill and Tommy Roche. Originally called St Cecilia, the name was changed to the Loch Garman Band as it is known today. The first instruments were obtained through funds from a Derby Sweep. Additional instruments were located in Ferns from the Confo Band which was disbanded 50 years previously. Nine instruments came from this source, one of which is still in use today. Other instruments were donated from a variety of sources and the band was born.
The band had received many awards over the years:
- 11 times champions - brass section inclusive of 3 hat-tricks between 1988/2000
- 7 times Overall Award Winners inclusive of 5 in a row between 1996/2000
- 6 Times winners of brass section - Overall Award - Soloist Award inclusive of 10 in a row 1996/2000
- 5 time All Ireland Champions inclusive of 4 in a row for years 1989/90/91/92
- Represented Ireland at the European Championships securing 2nd place
The band have recorded commercially, featured on RTÉ & BBC Radio & TV programmes, and performed at the National Concert Hall and Wexford Festival Opera production of the "Rising of the Moon".
Arising from this level of performing excellence it is not surprising that our soloists have also been to the forefront achieving 10 Champion Soloist titles together with Best Instrumentalist awards in the Arklow Music Festivals and National Feis Ceoil series.
Key players have subsequently become extremely accomplished and play professionally with many musical combinations. This in turn allows the band to present an excellent set of tutors to continue, upgrade and enhance the training for current members and new students of brass.